Sunday, October 17, 2010

PUMBA KAT

Hallööööö liebe Kunden!


How the heck are you guys? I've been so out of the loop.

Hohkay, I wanted to write more but here's the deal: IT'S A SUNNY DAY. And I'd be a fool to stay indoors on a day like this. My sunny days are, like, numbered as November nears......
I also wanted to post some lovely pictures of fall foliage, but I can't find the darn link for uploading pictures! They'll come L8R

I'm having a great time. I'm wrapping up my fall break and on Tuesday I'm going to start teaching 4realz. I've had the past 2 weeks free and I took trips to Berlin, Kiel & Flensburg. These 2 northernly cities are 30 minutes apart, but Germans consider the difference to be profound. Actually they're right.

Berlin is wild! There's Germany and there's Berlin. It's super international, very funky, and the scene is constantly changing. In spirit, it's like a cosmopolitan version of Austin. It's only 2 hours away and I know plenty of people living there, so I'll visit fairly often. I'm very glad that I live in Dresden though-- in Berlin it would be hard to meet German people, oddly enough. Dresden is like this Baroque dream come true. Plus, it's the size of Austin and there is so much to do. Huzzah!

In Kiel and Flensburg I was reunited with Frederike & her family & her spectactular friends. I had a damn good time. We had a MUSTACHE PARTY and I got reacquainted with Fernet Branca y Coca, which is what people drink in Argentina. Listen, I think it's stupid to talk about drinking, but I'm going to make a brief exception: Fernet is something else. It's actually quite nice on your stomach and you'll have an opposite-hangover the next day. It is, however, an "acquired taste". (OK I'm done now)

But really, the best part of the trip was at the grocery store. I was buying said drink and some old man started pushing his shopping cart against me (instead of asking me to kindly move or going around me). Then after I grumbled some insults, he took out his knife and starting sharpening it. Fuckin weirdo.

Hmm this is already becoming long and the sun is beckoning me. I'm going to a "Hochseilgarten" with my housemates. It's a place where you climb shit, but it's not rock climbing.

But in a nutshell, I wanted to say that I'm back in Dresden after some, um, life-threatening adventures. I can't say that I've developed much of a routine yet. There is still so much to see and do, but I'm definitely carving myself a cozy little niche with the groovy new people that I'm meeting and at my home.


That's all for now, folks! BYE!! And check out this sweet Chilean music playlist that NPR compiled.

Besos,
Claire

1 comment:

  1. Claire-

    your post made me laugh a lot! I can't believe that guy at the supermarket! You're going to have to watch your back with all those crazies around.

    I read what you wrote about "climbing shit" out-loud to my roommate. We were both trying to figure out what exactly you would be climbing.
    The first thing she asked me was "is she really into parkour?" hehehe

    hardcore parkour!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mpNUl3swk

    glad to hear that you are having fun in germany- it sounds awesome! I'm about to check out that chilean playliste. =)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete