Monday, September 20, 2010

Summer: Bunch of Hippies

Ah the wonders of procrastination!  Instead of comparing protein translation between eukaryotes and prokaryotes, I am going to join you lovelies for some share time!

This weekend I had a lovely reunion in Austin with, mainly my old housemates (Stav, Chris, Niell, and Jay), but I also got to see Fatima!  It was a bit of fresh air getting out of San Antonio and going back to Austin.  I feel more at home there; I told Stav that the past 7 weeks or so felt like a...dream in comparison to returning to Austin.  I felt like medical school was a distant thought and that Austin was my real life again.

To give you an idea of things taking place in Austin, I will recount the text messaging between me and one of my San Antonio med school friends.

Lilian: We miss you!  Hope you're having fun at one of ur favorite coffee shops lol

Me:  Hell Yeah! My friend [Stav] is playing guitar.  I had wine and tasty tofu (Jay actually made tofu...I ate potato salad wrapped in lettuce and tasty tasty chick patties!  but tofu was easier to say) and I am sitting on real wood floors =] group sing a long!

Lilian: Haha! Bunch of hippies, singing; oh god!

Such was my weekend.  Throw in the coffee shops and wonderful friends.  It was a very refreshing weekend.  And Stav burned me her September mix tape!

Stav, Jay, and I also went to a show--a Tent Revival!  Featuring Wino Vino, White Ghost Shivers, and the McMercy Family Band.

I will not comment too much because I can't do it justice the way Stav could--especially since it touches upon one of her favorite musical...genres.

So, here's a link.  I didn't post any youtubes because they all sucked.  This is their myspace.  This was a really fun band to dance to, but also because there were a lot of biblical songs...of course, there was also a lot of smack thrown around making fun of revivals.  McMercy Family Band

So...that was my quick deviation from work!

Love you all and definitely enjoy the videos!  Claire, I hope you feel better soon!

2 comments:

  1. Bunch o' hippies! HA! I love it. Really enjoyed the inclusion of text messaging! Classic, Verano. Oh how I love thee and Austin! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds simply wonderful! does that really make us a bunch of hippies? hahaha. tofu! the white ghost shivers! stav playing the guitar! stav, can you save that september mix on to grooveshark or 8tracks so that i can listen to it from deutschland? :-D

    ReplyDelete