Monday, August 23, 2010

Andrea: my first post!

Hi guys! Sorry that I've waited so long to write-- I wanted to wait until I could  post photos.  I still haven't gotten around to uploading my pictures but I had a particularly lonely morning today so I wanted to write anyway.

First, let me catch you up: I'm in Boise! I drove up with Michael (my boyfriend) and we got here Friday.  Boise is so beautiful!  It is a small city that sits in a valley and is surrounded by hills and mountains.  It is really green and everyone is super active and outdoorsy here.  My house is really cute and in a perfect little neighborhood.  The bike route I take to school is along the river! I also live walking distance from some awesome hiking trails in the hills.  (I hope I'm making you all want to come visit me!)

Michael and I had a really fun weekend exploring the city.  He left Sunday morning and I miss him already. We haven't decided if we are going to stay together or not...  After taking him to the airport, I spent the rest of the day cleaning my house, trying to find furniture on craigslist, and biking around town. It didn't hit me how much I missed him and all of my friends until this morning after my first class.  I still haven't met anyone in Boise and I figured I would meet people in classes but I had no luck today.  First of all, there were only 4 other students in my class and they were all a lot older than me and already deep into their research. One girl in my class is already a research scientist!  It was very intimidating.  The professor already assigned a project and I don't even understand what it's about. We are actually supposed to know stuff and figure everything out on our own in grad school...  What if I become a grad school drop-out???

In a couple of minutes I have to go to "tea time" with everyone from the geology department.  It's to get to know each other and talk about our research.  Why am I so nervous??!!

My roommate moves in today-- I can't wait to meet her.  Also, I think I might do a yoga class today to de-stress. 

How are all of you??  I miss you so much.  

ps: thanks for the music, stav!

3 comments:

  1. Boise sounds amazing! Seems a lot more feasible to visit than Germany or Turkey...but I guess you won't be there over school breaks.

    So, school sounds pretty crazy! But, I think any schooling after college is just super intense. It's the nature of the beast! School here...well, all we do is study. And if we aren't studying, we feel guilty about not studying. What a life! At least you have a beautiful environment. I miss Austin a lot. And riding my bike.

    I'm glad you were able to road trip up with Michael and have some help. I remember thinking that your parents should help you...but, you had Michael. =]

    Chin up! You'll meet people soon enough. You really only need a couple of good friends. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll just be doing research! AHhh! Good luck, and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!!!! I feel very fortunate that we finally have this blog to help us actually get to know each other better after all these years, Andrea. Having moved to a few places all by my lonesome in the past few years you just gotta put yourself out there no matter how much laziness, awkwardness, or memories of old amazing friends tell you not to. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie(I think you that posted this last comment)-- Thanks for the advice! Things have gotten much better already. I've met a few people and my roommate is really cool! =) I'm glad we can finally get to know each other better also... This blog is pretty much awesome.

    Summer-- I miss you too! If you ever want to come up to visit, we can take a back-backing trip to the wilderness- maybe even go up to Canada!

    ReplyDelete