Saturday, August 28, 2010

Leslie: What truly heals my soul

Currently jamming to: Mississippi John Hurt "You got to Walk the Lonesome Valley"
Feeling: Un Poco triste
Weather: Sweaty but not Texas hot

What heals you when you're down and out?
Really put some thought into this my ladies.

Growing up I thought it was my religion and the practice it encouraged-the mysterious act of prayer that healed me; however in the 8 years since deciding not to devote myself to any particular religion, I've realized that what truly heals me, gives me goose-bumps, makes me want to shout the "gospel", and sleep peacefully at night has been speaking to me all along.
In no particular order:
1. Building, maintaining, and marveling at the ability to have a relationship with animals
Is this not healing instantly? Psychologists have published studies proving that the simple act of petting an animal lowers blood-pressure. Ahhhh. What a sacred and beautiful creature is the animal.Every animal is a piece of heaven to me. In fact, right now here in my little dormitory bunk bed in Nicaragua lies Bigote the kitten, long term resident of the hostel wherein I reside. Just seeing her lying on her back asleep amongst my freshly dried laundry makes me breath easier.
2. Art
This is a broad one for me. Music is probably my most soul-affecting art form. Better than any Prozac or alcoholic beverage, music can wash over me and rid me of all my worries almost instantly. I love the fact that an artist, a person just like you and me, had the bravery to put their art into the world and make it live. Paintings, drawings, origami,poems, graffiti, screen-printed t-shirts, etc. Any art, no matter how "bad" or "good" is a reason to be thankful that I am breathing the air this day. Entonces, may I recommend this...beautiful style and soothing vocals of this uniquely talented man, Mississippi John Hurt! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GN-BP_Qlk

3. Nature
Perhaps this is the real religion. Human-beings cannot conquer it although we certainly try. Nature never ceases to quiet my soul and amaze me.In the deserts of West Texas and the high-altitude clouds seen from an airplane! Sometimes a sunset can speak to me and tell me everything is alright even in the shitty suburbs of Dallas.

I am calling upon and noting these forces of great positive energy for a few reasons from here in Nicaragua...The boyfriend I came down here to spend time and create an adventure with is being Medically Separated from the Peace Corps. So to people not familiar with Peace Corps vernacular, he's been deemed too sick to stay here. For over a year he's had chronic stomach issues due to the food/water. As if that wasn't tiring enough, the past few months revealed some strange benign cyst in his wrist that needs surgery...hench, off to the comfy U.S he goes in 72 hours much to my disappointment. This comes as no surprise, nor do I take it personally. It's been a long hard road for my poor Travis. Always trying to outwit my negative side, I feel this may actually be a positive eventuality for me here in Nica, but right now I am sitting with mixed emotions calling upon all sources of healing. It's certainly not what I wanted to happen. Now, may I commend the beauty of writing....

2 comments:

  1. Leslie, I'm so sorry to hear about Travis! I hope he'll be better in the US and that he'll find something equally badass to do. Don't fret because you're going to have an amazing time in Nicaragua. You're so open and will find lots to do and people will love you there. Really thoughtful entry and I think it's great that you said so many positive things during a hard time. Things will work out for you!! --Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Les! Just wanted to drop a line while I have a sec. I will write a well-thought out response soon!

    ReplyDelete