Monday, August 16, 2010

Stav: Diligence - How Long Will This Last?

Hi-yah folks,

Let me preface this post with the question, is it too much to post almost every day? I don't want to feel like I'm monopolizing this cyberspace-space... So just let me know if too many music posts are overwhelming our collaborative project here... Feedback is encouraged :) Also, like I mentioned in the title, I really don't know how long this daily posting will last as I am on vacation now and have a lot of free time apparently.

And now onto the music.

If asked, I would have to say that Austin is only at its full and total glory in the summertime. Despite the oppressive heat, mosquitoes and incoming freshmen, Austin in summer is perfect. Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to lunch at Polvos with some other ex-pearlies we know. While we were making the trek down to South 1st listening to KGSR, the song Gone Gone Gone by Alison Kraus and Robert plant came on. It was very fitting for the carefree mood of the afternoon – there is really nothing like public radio on a nice Saturday afternoon in Austin with only mild heat when you are about to go gorge on Tex-Mex. Cheers for Austin summers.




The version of the song on the radio was a new(ish) Alison Kraus and Robert Plant collaboration, so right off the bat, how could it be bad? Alison Kraus is an amazing country singer and folk traditionalist responsible for much of the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. And Robert Plant…Led Zeppelin man! So, naturally their version is good (I mean, besides the cheese factor of the video, which you should ignore, or conversely, bask in all its treadmill glory. It kind of gets cut off, but that’s actually really close to the end of the song anyway).

Even though the newer version is good, I still think the original Everly Brothers version is awesome. Also, this video is innnnnnsane.



Oh, and Summer, sorry for going all John Ailey on your ass and posting two versions of the exact same song…

Take care,

Stav.

3 comments:

  1. Stav, you can post all you want! I love the music posts and whatever else you want to post...movie reviews too? Hehe. Oh, and I actually really like the two versions. I've never heard the Everly Brothers before and I love this song by Alison Kraus and Robert Plant. I have the Raising Sand album. Love the references to John Ailey and Austin summers (just don't post a bunch of Radiohead songs...) and I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wow...I just started watching the Alison/Robert video...it's like a Target or Gap commercial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stav, keep it coming! I love your posts. No amount could be too much. :-D

    PS: heh heh, John Ailley.

    ReplyDelete