Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summer: $850 to Replace a Skull

So--I wrote this during orientation but didn't want to post it until I had a photo. So here it is, even though I wrote it 7/28/10.

This is pretty much what I learned in my week of orientation. Whoever thought a skull could cost so much? I mean, we're only charged $500 for "human materials"--a nicer way--or the mob's way--of saying: dead person.

Other than that, there were a lot of people I met…and promptly forgot.

On Sunday, I had my white coat ceremony. We get white coats and say the Hippocratic Oath. It's sort of like saying the Pledge of Allegiance. You don't really realize what you're saying. Well, that's a lie. You pay a lot more attention to what you're saying, but it's all very…out-of-body. I didn't feel the weight of the statement the way I thought I would. I had the conscious thought: I really want this to mean something, this should mean something! Then I thought: Shut up and relax.


It's me and my dad! He said he wore black to counteract all the white coats. Typical.

My apartment is still a bit of a mess. Well, I lied…it's mainly my room. The best thing about it is that I have a "nook" with a window seat. And, the natural lighting is good. I can study in my room in the evenings without turning on my lights. And yes, I've been doing homework, but not for medical school. Luckily, I know no one who is "pre-reading." Thank god. I'd rather get "pre-crunk"!

Bad thing about my apartment: I wish I had some of Fatima's photos and collages because our living room is barren. =[ We don't have anything cool to hang on the walls. I hardly have anything to hang in my room!

So, this has become entirely rambley, as I am known to do and will probably state at the end of every post. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. I need to be a part of this.

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. summer- hope your first week went well: ) i'm sure it was very busy and crazy! good luck starting the semester and stay crunk : )
    -alice

    ReplyDelete