Friday, August 13, 2010

Stav: Townes and Woods All the Way to Austin

Hello all,

I too have spent the past couple of days in Dallas in an attempt to relax and not worry about normal everyday stuff that happens in Austin. This backfired on me a little as I experienced some new (to me) stressful social interactions. In any case, I'm glad to be back home.

The way back to Austin from Dallas is usually tinged with a little sadness. Generally the sadness of returning to real life, this time particularly the sadness of missed opportunities? So, fittingly, I listened to sad country-folk the entire way. Also, riding the greyhound bus through Texas is always a cause to listen to country music.

I give to you a little sample of the drive:



Woods is a superb contemporary folk/rock band originally from the Pacific Northwest, now based out of New York. This song is not on the album but if your interested I highly recommend the album Songs of Shame. Woods' music is pleasently melancholic, but not too brooding... always with a little nice glimmer of light. They combine folky instrumentation (acoustic guitars and drums for the most part) and execution (basic strumming) with a kind of surf-y feel (ethereal/incomprehensible backing vocals and it kinds of sounds like they're underwater part of the time). Although the sound is very agreeable, I think Woods has a dark edge, I guess the incongruity makes it interesting. This is especially the case with Songs of Shame which was supposedly written as a critique of American culture/politics. I enjoy the relatively high pitched male vocals and the lo-fi sound quality.



I don't have much to say about Townes Van Zandt. He's from Texas. His voice alone makes me weep.

Hope you guys aren't too depressed after all that. Ha! Take care wherever you are. More songs later.

No comments:

Post a Comment