Monday, August 23, 2010

Leslie: Where does this highway go to?

Greetings from Nicaragua! I am finally getting to work today after one week of me and my boyfriend being on a our "Reunion of Love Tour" in various cities here in ol' Nicaragua. Highlights include spending way more money than I expected, smoking cigs and drinking whiskey on a rooftop in old town Granada, dancing/sweating it up at a discotec only to get pepper-sprayed off the floor, eating beans and rice galore, laughing at myself while trying to get a cell phone. It's good to get out of my comfort zone, but man is it hard to motivate myself to not speak english.
 My boyfriend, Travis finally went back to his Peace Corps work today so here I am in Leon about to start doing environmental work with the hostel I'll be living in for the next 3 months, Sonati. Being able to only speak in present tense is errm....awwwwkward. Good thing this time I know better than to say "soy embarazada" for embarrassed.
First observation about spending time in a supposed "3rd World Country" (a term I am not comfortable with)....people are happy here and seem to have everything they truly need. Of course there's plenty of visible poverty but happiness abounds. Maybe us Americans can learn something from this....Love, Les

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That's got to be the number one classic mistake people make! Everyone wants to say "I'm embarrassed" when they first start speaking Spanish...I swear the Spanish-speaking world made sure that that word sounds like "embarrassed." Wish I was there drinkin' up some wiksey!

    ReplyDelete